Gallagher Premiership Rugby Opening Week Review


The opening weekend of the new Gallagher Premiership saw more late drama and some sensational tries scored.

Champions Leicester Tigers suffered an agonising last-minute defeat at the hands of Exeter Chiefs at Sandy Park on Saturday.

Patrick Schickerling’s last gasp try helped Chiefs come from behind to beat the Tigers in a dramatic finish at Sandy Park.

The hosts led 17-6 at half-time before Hanro Liebenberg went over for Tigers first try of the new season. Charlie Clare increased the champions lead before Schickerling grabbed the win for Chiefs.


Two late tries saw Harlequins come from behind to open their account on the opening day with a win against Newcastle Falcons.

Alex Dombrandt and Joe Marler went over for the Londoners in the last six minutes of the match to seal victory and claim all five points on offer.

The hosts had led 17-14 at the break thanks to tries from George McGuigan, Adam Radwan and Nathan Earle.

Quins responded with Tyrone Green, Wilco Louw, George Head and Lennox Anyanwu crossing before McGuigan’s second of the afternoon and Logo Mulipola gave Falcons the lead again before the Quins late show.


An opening day West Country showdown was won by Bristol Bears who got the better of Bath 31-29 at Ashton Gate.

Ellis Genge scored two tries on his Bristol return to help Bears start their campaign with a narrow win.

The home side shaded the first half 17-16 with Bears holding on for a narrow win, with Bath new boss Johann van Graan beginning his role in the job with a losing bonus point.


Sale Sharks held of a late Northampton Saints fightback to open up their season with a victory over the Saints 29-22.

The home side led 10-3 at half-time with both Sam and Luke James going over to increase Sale’s lead with Ton O’Flaherty scoring on his Sharks debut to claim the try bonus point.

Ollie Sleightholme added to Tom Collins double as Saints came away from Manchester with a losing bonus point.


Gloucester had to come from 21-0 down at Kingsholm before eventually overcoming Wasps 27-21.

The hosts scored 27 unanswered second half points to open up their campaign with a win after Louis Rees-Zammit ran the whole length of the field to cross with Charlie Chapman going over the home side were right back in the contest.

Wasps had two players in the sin bin as Gloucester scored a penalty try to go 22-21 up with Freddie Clarke going over for the try bonus point.

Follow us on Twitter @ProstInt







About Author

Comments are closed.