Gallagher Premiership week three round-up


Peter Moores rounds up the third week of the Gallagher Premiership Rugby season.

Round three of the Gallagher Premiership saw unbeaten Northampton Saints take on Harlequins at Franklin Gardens on Friday evening, with Saints maintaining their unbeaten start to the Premiership, running out comfortable 40-22 winners.

Taqele Naiyaravoro scored twice during a dominate first-half display that saw Saints earn a try bonus point, with Teimana Harrison and Mike Haywood also dotting down. After 40 minutes the points were looking like staying with the home side as Saints led 27-8 at the break.

Harlequins responded with a try either side of half-time through Cadan Murley and captain Chris Robshaw, but the hosts quickly hit back with Harrison picking up his second try of the night before the end of play. There was still time for Murley to cross on the stroke of full time, but in truth Quins were always second best to a very good Saints side.

Pat Lam’s side extended their unbeaten run at Ashton Gate to six games, with a 16-10 victory for Bristol Bears against Sale Sharks on Friday night.

Callum Sheedy made Sharks pay for their poor indiscipline with a trio of penalties, as they built up a 9-0 lead at the break. The main action happened late on in the game when Bears Chris Vui received a yellow card with drama to come. John Lloyd went over for the hosts, with Sharks Cameron Neild responding three minutes later, but the home side held on for their second victory of the campaign.

Tom Hardwick’s last minute penalty was enough for Leicester Tigers to record a dramatic 16-13 victory over Gloucester Rugby at Welford Road on Saturday.

Gloucester’s afternoon got off to a bad start when captain Ed Slater saw yellow for a shoulder charge on Tigers Ireland international Noel Reid. After Hardwick and Billy Twelvetrees traded penalties, the young fly-half scored a brilliant solo try to give Tigers the lead. Gloucester hit back with a try from Joe Simpson, but Tigers responded with two penalties from Hardwick to give Leicester victory in an enthralling contest.

Manu Vunipola’s late penalty gave reigning Gallagher Premiership Champions Saracens a dramatic 16-13 win over newly promoted London Irish at Allianz Park on Saturday.

There was little to separate the sides at the break with Titi Lamositele crossing for Sarries in the 25th minute. Despite the hosts shading the early exchanges, it was the exiles who held a 13-8 lead when Albert Tuisue went over in the 53rd minute. It was down to a Ben Earl try and Vunipola’s last gasp kick for Saracens to claim a narrow victory, with Irish having the consolation of a losing bonus point.

Wasps picked up their first win in this season’s Gallagher Premiership with a 30-22 victory against Bath Rugby at the Ricoh Arena on Saturday.

Tries from Will Rowlands, Brad Shields and Dan Robson alongside 15 points from the boot of Lima Sopoaga was enough for the hosts.

Wasps shaded the opening forty minutes of the contest, going into the break with a narrow 13-9 lead. Zach Mercer crossed for Bath early in the second period and 17 points from Rhys Priestland ran the hosts close, but it wasn’t to be as Bath remain bottom of the table.

A late Harry Williams try proved enough for Exeter Chiefs to come from behind to record a 24-20 victory against Worcester Warriors at Sixways on Sunday.

The hosts were on the front foot early on, building a 17-3 lead with a pair of Perry Humphreys tries after 26 minutes and two conversions from Duncan Weir. On the stroke of half-time Chiefs hit back when Jack Maunder went over to reduce the deficit to seven points. With 15 minutes to play Matt Kvesic touched down to score against his former club. Weir restored Warriors narrow advantage with a penalty, before Williams crashed over after 32 Exeter phases to give his side the win.


About Author

Comments are closed.