Effiong’s brace all in vain as Moors snatch all three points


Despite a brace from Cards’ Inih Effiong, Woking suffered a narrow 3-2 loss against play-off candidates Solihuill Moors at the Laithwaite Community Stadium on Saturday.

The visitors twice had to come from behind against a resurgent Woking side under caretaker manager Ian Dyer.

Woking went into the game on the back of three successive victories and were on the front foot straight from the kick off.

Nicke Kabamba fired over from 20 yards out for the first chance of the match before a free flowing move from the home side with Tyreke Johnson’s left sided cross which was headed across goal by Effiong with Solomon Nwabuokei volleying over from only five yards out.

Eventually the Cards’ pressure paid off with the deadlock broken after 16 minutes when a corner fell to Joe McNerney who struck a shot that was pounced on by Effiong to poke home for his 12th goal of the season.

The giant striker came close to picking up his 13th of the campaign after tip toeing into the area, before firing over after being put under pressure.

With half time approaching, the Moors drew level when defender Harry Boyes volley flew into the net from fully twenty yards out.

The second half started where the visitors ended the first half with James Osbourne’s shot brilliantly tipped over the bar by Craig Ross.

The Cards then re-took the lead after Mousa Diarra’s long ball over the top fell perfectly for Effiong for a simple tap in for his second of the game.

With the Cards really under the cosh as the visitors reacted strongly, Solihull delivered a double blow to Woking by netting twice inside ten minutes.

In the 62nd minute Adam Rooney’s glancing header beat Ross and ten minutes later, Moors took the lead for the first time in the game when Ryan Barnett slotted home.

Despite Woking going close late in the game with Johnson volleying over from close range, Solihull held on for their first ever win in Surrey against Woking.


About Author

Comments are closed.