Castleford fall just short as the Robins secure a fifth win in a row


Hull KR edge an enthralling match at the Jungle as they secure a 7-12 win over the Castleford Tigers.

Tries from Corey Hill and Matt Parcell were enough to guide the Robins to their fifth victory in a row.

On a cold, wet night in Castleford, it could have been easy for teams to turn to a more direct forwards based game. But that wasn’t the case in the early exchanges.

Castleford started in all out attack mode, playing an expansive, fast paced game. They went close a few times within the first 10 minutes. Joe Westerman was the closest, as he came within inches of the whitewash after a barnstorming carry.

As has been the case for much of this season, their accuracy cost them at crucial moments. A swift move through the backline found Jordan Turner and Mahe Fonua in space, however Turner’s pass couldn’t connect and the opportunity went begging.

However they eventually capitalised on their early dominance.

A great break from Kenny Edwards through the middle got the Fords deep into enemy territory. Jacob Miller’s kick on the last tackle of that set wasn’t dealt with by the Robins, and the former Wakefield man scooped up the ball to dot down under the sticks. Paul McShane added the extras and the Fords found themselves six points to the good.

Hull KR needed to find a way back into the game. They built up a good set, however a forward pass from new signing Corey Hall denied them a great opportunity to draw back level.

They were presented with another great chance not long after. Mikey Lewis put in a grubber kick, however Ryan Hall was unable to ground the ball and the Tigers escaped again.

The Robins kept the pressure up for much of the next quarter, and the Fords defence started to creek. Castleford started to give away penalties, which allowed Hull KR to get deep into their half, and eventually led to Liam Watts receiving a yellow card for a late hit. However Castleford’s defence stood tall.

There was one last defensive effort before the hooter, as they dragged Shaun Kenny-Dowall into touch as the winger looked set to go over in the corner.

This effort epitomised the Tigers display in the first-half. They were physical and had a real edge on both sides of the ball, but would it carry on in the second-half?

It would be the Robins that made the first breakthrough in the second-half. Again it was Castleford’s discipline that earned Hull KR the chance to pounce, and Corey Hall was the lucky man as he got his first try for the club. Coote’s kick split the uprights and the Robins were back level.

A cagey period of play followed, with both teams fronting up in defence and bringing plenty of physicality. Miller put the Tigers back in front as he slotted a drop-goal from close range, but the lead wouldn’t last long.

Directly from the kick-off the Robins gained vital territory as the home side allowed the ball to bounce into touch, and hooker Matt Parcell restored Hull KR’s lead as he sniped from dummy half. Coote again added the conversion and Willie Peters side took a five point lead.

They could have added another one just five minutes later, however Corey Hall couldn’t hold onto the ball as he looked to get his second.

A nervy last 15 minutes followed, but Hull KR held on to record their fifth win in a row.

Willie Peters side head into the international break in fine form, but face a tough test against Huddersfield when the league resumes. For Andy Last’s men, they will use the break to prepare for a visit to the Leigh Sports Village as they take on the Leopards.

Castleford Tigers: 7

Tries: Miller

Goals: McShane

Drop Goal: Miller

Hull KR: 12

Tries: C Hall, Parcell

Goals:  Coote (2)

Follow us on Twitter @ProstInt



About Author

Comments are closed.