Reading vs Aston Villa – From the Archives


A second half hat-trick in what was a second half-comeback.

In this edition of From the Archives, we look back at the 2010, FA Cup quarter final clash between Reading and Aston Villa.

Reading were managed by former Arsenal and Oxford United midfielder Brian McDermott, who had taken over from Brendan Rodgers in December 2009. Their squad on the day included the likes of Australian keeper Adam Federic, Ryan Bertrand, Gylfi Sigurdsson, and Shane Long.

Villa were managed by Nottingham Forest legend Martin O’Neill. They were looking for their second Wembley appearance of the season, after they were beaten Manchester United 2-1 in the League Cup final, seven days before their game at the Madejski.

Villa fielded the side which included Brad Friedel, Richard Dunne, James Milner, Ashley Young, and strikers John Carew and Emile Heskey.

On 27 minutes, it was the Championship side who took the lead, a corner from Brian Howard was flicked on by Matt Mills and headed in by Shane Long.

Then with a minute before the break Emile Heskey was dispossesed by Sigurdsson and Reading went on the break, splitting open the Villa defence with his ball to Jimmy Kebe, he cut back his cross and once again found Long to double the Royals Lead.

Reading, who had knocked out Liverpool at Anfield in the third round, were 45 minutes from causing another cup upset.

But straight from the kick off, Villa was back in the game when Reading were unable to clear the West Midlands club’s balls into the box. The ball eventually fell to Ashley Young who slotted home from six yards.

Carew celebrating with his teammates       Credit – Birmingham Mail

Aston Villa’s crosses were posing threats and on the 51st minute, Stewart Downing’s pinpoint cross found John Carew who cushioned his header passed Federici to make it 2-2.

Six minutes later, Villa turned the game around. Stephen Warnock’s low ball on the left flank once again found Carew, whose calm and composed flick found the net.

In the 92nd minute, Villa once again won possession. Looking like they were going for the corner, James Milner played it back to Young, who then played it to Carew in the area, who was brought down and won a penalty.

The Norwegian rifled his spot kick into the roof of the net and bagged his hat-trick. Earning his side a place in the semi finals.

Sadly for Aston Villa their second visit to Wembley proved to be another disappointing one. They were beaten 3-0 by eventual double winners Chelsea. O’Neill then resigned in the summer, just five days before the start of the 2010/11 season.


About Author

Comments are closed.