Netherlands progress with convincing win over Scotland – WU19s Euros


Netherlands progressed to the semi-finals of the UEFA Women’s Under-19 Championships with a 4-0 rout over Scotland.

On a beautiful sunny night in Paisley, the Netherlands claimed their place in the semi-finals of the UEFA Women’s Under-19 Championships, while the hosts Scotland were eliminated without picking up a point. Any win for the Netherlands would have been enough to see them through, but they made absolutely sure with a thumping 4-0 win.

The match started off evenly, with Scotland having the first shot of the match when Jamie Lee Napier’s pressure forced a mistake from the Dutch defence. The defender recovered well, forcing Napier wide enough that in the end her shot was too tame to really trouble the keeper Daphne Van Domselaar.

After just eight minutes, the Dutch found themselves in front. A good ball into the box from Romee Leuchter on the right found Lynn Wilms, who took a touch before slamming the ball home from the near post.

With a 1-0 lead under their belts, the Dutch started to take control of the match. Just two minutes after the goal, a poor backpass from Scotland’s Rachel Brown allowed Kirsten Van de Westeringh a chance to make it two in quick succession, but she failed to capitalise and her shot was easily saved by Sophie Allison.

There was a scare for Scotland in the 20th minute as a cross from Van de Westeringh nearly found its way into the net, Allison scrambling to get to it and palming it out to the back post, where it found Leuchter, but she was well closed down by Charlotte Newsham.

The Netherlands doubled their lead in the 32nd minute when a cross from the left was headed out to Dutch captain Marisa Olislagers, she took a touch and then slotted the ball into the bottom-left corner.

Scotland chose to make a double substitution at half time, replacing centre forward Kathleen McGovern with Lauren Davidson, and left-winger Rachel Connor with Rebecca McGowan.

The second half started with a flurry of Dutch chances. First Van de Westeringh had a good effort from long range, which passed just over the crossbar in 47 minutes. Three minutes later, Wilms had a chance to add to her tally as she found herself again with the ball at her feet inside the box, but her shot was well saved and Scotland managed to clear.

In 53 minutes, Scotland had their first good chance of the half, with Davidson making a strong run down the right. She had Jamie Lee Napier in the middle but chose to go for goal herself, hitting a shot that was straight down the middle and easily saved by Van Domselaar.

After 62 minutes the Dutch chose to replace both of their wide players, with Leuchter coming off for Chasity Grant and Van de Westeringh replaced by Naomi Hillhorst.

In 68 minutes Scotland were lucky to keep the score down to 2-0. A stramash in the box saw Sophie Allison somehow come away with the ball in her hands from the middle of a crowd of orange shirts.

As the game reached its final ten minutes, the Dutch started to again assert more control, and they were rewarded in 81 minutes. As the ball was swung in from a corner, Allison failed to claim the ball and it was knocked out only as far as Lisa Doorn, who volleyed home from ten yards.

Doorn was on the scoresheet again eight minutes later, in slightly different circumstances. This time, the corner missed everyone and found Doorns unmarked at the back post. As she lobbed the ball back into the six-yard box, it’s unclear whether she intended it as a shot or a cross, but it found its way into the back of the net anyway, finishing off a convincing 4-0 win for the Dutch.

A second 4-0 defeat in a row to round off a disappointing tournament for the hosts, who will hope they can learn from the experience and come back stronger in future, and jubilation for the Dutch, who now go on to face Germany at Firhill in the semi-final.


About Author

Comments are closed.