Maciel’s potential MLS NEXT Pro goal of the year leads Revolution II past RBNY II


FOXBOROUGH, MA— The New England Revolution II (4-2-7, 16 pts.) were victorious 1-0 over New York Red Bulls II (5-3-6, 20 pts) on Friday afternoon.

The match kicked off at 1:00 p.m. ET at Oulette Stadium in Hooksett, New Hampshire.

The team started their lineup in a 4-3-3 formation with goalkeeper JD Gunn starting in the net with a backline of (left back) Moshtaba Al-Hasnawi, (center backs) Hesron Barry and Santiago Suarez, along with (right back) Damario McIntosh. The midfield consisted of Eric Klein (left), Lucas Maciel (center), and Luka Borovic(right). The forward roles were manned by Gevork Diarbian (left), Malcolm Fry (right), and Patrick Leal (central) as the lone striker.

Midfielder Patrick Leal wore the captain’s armband.

First team players Santiago Suarez and Malcolm Fry started the match and Joshua Bolma began the match on the bench.

The match began with the New York Red Bulls starting from the center circle and launching the ball into New England’s defensive third.

New England had the first moment of the match when Patrick Leal’s close-range effort was blocked away by RBNY II defender #34 Juan Gutierrez.

RBNY II’s first chance came in the 6th minute when midfielder #65 Steven Sserwadda’s effort went high over the goal.

Another opportunity came for New England in the 16th minute when Gevork Diarbian’s effort was caught by goalkeeper #21 Aidan Stokes.

Malcolm Fry then had a clear opportunity just 5 minutes later when he was denied from close range by #21 Aidan Stokes.

New England’s next chance came 25 minutes in when Gevork Diarbian was denied from less than six yards from the goal.

Just seconds into the 39th minute, New England took the 1-0 advantage.

Following a freekick by Patrick Leal, the ball was blocked and then managed to fall back to Moshtaba Al-Hasnawi. He then played Gevork Diarbian, who sent a ball into the area toward Braedon Smith, but he was stuffed by goalkeeper #21 Aidan Stokes. Then, the ball found Diarbian yet again, he cut inside and crossed the ball, but it was headed clear toward Lucas Maciel, who elected for an OUTRAGEOUS right-footed volley into the top right corner of the goal for the 1-0 advantage.

Midfielder Patrick Leal had yet another chance in the 41st minute but his effort went just wide.

Just 2 minutes later, Moshtaba Al-Hasnawi had a chance of his own that went just wide of the right post.

After the initial 45 minutes, the match entered halftime with New England ahead 1-0.

Prior to the start of the second half, RBNY head coach Ibrahim Sekagya made his first two changes by replacing defender #50 Jair Collahuazo and midfielder #77 Adri Mehmeti for defender #27 Davi Alexandre and midfielder #44 Aidan Jarvis.

The second half began with New England starting in the center circle and immediately launching the ball into RBNY’s defensive third.

RBNY had the first chance of the half when forward #66 Tanner Rosborough’s effort was met with a save by JD Gunn.

In the 49th minute, RBNY II defender #27 Davi Alexandre was issued a yellow card for fouling Gevork Diarbian.

Just 6 minutes later, RBNY II defender #34 Juan Gutierrez was issued a yellow card for a hard foul on Malcolm Fry.

In the 62nd minute, RBNY head coach Ibrahim Sekagya made his third change of the match by replacing defender #46 Dylan Sullivan with defender #45 Copeland Berkley.

The next chance of the match came in the 65th minute when Luka Borovic’s headed effort was saved off the line by goalkeeper #21 Aidan Stokes.

Gevork Diarbian had yet another effort in the 74th minute when he took on two defenders and took a right footed shot that went just wide of the right post.

In the 75th minute, Revolution II head coach Richie Williams made his first two changes of the match by replacing Santiago Suarez and Malcolm Fry with Colby Quiñones and Joshua Bolma.

Diarbian had yet another crucial opportunity in a 3 versus 1 in the 81st minute, but his effort was saved ONCE AGAIN by goalkeeper #21 Aidan Stokes.

In the 85th minute, RBNY head coach Ibrahim Sekagya made his fourth and final change of the match by replacing midfielder #90 Malick Dembele with defender #56 No Name.

Just two minutes later, in the 87th minute, Revolution II head coach Richie Williams made his final change of the match by replacing Patrick Leal with Alex Monis.

In the 90th minute, Revolution II defender Colby Quiñones was issued a yellow card.

Just one minute later, RBNY II midfielder #44 Aiden Jarvis was issued a yellow card. Less than 30 seconds later, RBNY midfielder #79 Rafael Mosquera was also issued a yellow card.

After the 90+5 minutes, New England held on for the 1-0 victory.

With the result, New England move to 11th in the MLS NEXT Pro Eastern Conference Standings.

Richie Williams and the New England Revolution II (4-2-7, 16 pts.) return home to face Eastern Conference side Crown Legacy FC (4-3-5, 17 pts.). The match will kick off at Oullette Stadium 7:30 p.m. EST on Sunday, June 23rd. For more MLS NEXT Pro content, you can find it on MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app.

Eastern Conference

Nothing Found

Apologies, but no results were found for the requested archive. Perhaps searching will help find a related post.


About Author

Comments are closed.