St Helens come out on top in the Good Friday derby


It was derby day delight for St Helens who ran out deserved winners in their highly anticipated derby match with Wigan Warriors.

The Saints were the better side over the piece and despite the Warriors opening the scoring through Jai Field, Kristian Woolf’s side always looked like the team in control.

The opening moments were filled with frustration for the hosts who were denied two early tries by the video referee, the first for losing control of the ball and the second for a knock-on from Joe Batchelor who ran half the length of the pitch before his try was chalked off.

Minutes after the second denied try, it was the visitors who took the lead as Field ripped the Saints side apart and dived into the corner to send the sold-out away end into a frenzy.

But that was about as good as things got for the Warriors who were from that moment on, in for a tough afternoon at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

Saints drew level through Tommy Makinson who caused several problems down the right hand-side for the home side before he was involved once again to set up Jonny Lomax who gave Saints the lead minutes before the half-time hooter.

The half ended with the score 12-4 after Makinson added two points late on with a penalty kick in front of the sticks.

Wigan needed to come out fighting second half, but Saints over-rose the challenge and got themselves back on the scoreboard early doors in the second period through Batchelor which gave Wigan a mountain to climb.

Sam Powell saw yellow from referee Liam Moore for a challenge which could’ve gone either way on which punishment he received, with Saints fans making their opinions heard that they felt Powell should’ve been off the field for longer than 10 minutes.

And whilst the Warriors were a man down, the league leaders took advantage and added to their lead with Mark Percival going over in the corner to rub salt into the Warriors wounds.

The Warriors did almost get a consolation try eight minutes from time as Abbas Miski went over in the near corner, but his try was ruled out by the video referee for his standing foot going into touch.

And with that action, the game drew to a close with the Saints remaining comfortable throughout the final few moments to claim a comprehensive victory on derby day.

Next up for the Champions is a trip to the John Smith’s Stadium on Easter Monday to face the Huddersfield Giants whilst the Warriors host Wakefield Trinity.

Follow us on Twitter @ProstInt



About Author

Comments are closed.