Huddersfield’s season takes a Brownhill turn in lone FA Cup shock


Ten Premier League sides progressed into the next round of the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday afternoon.

Tottenham Hotspur got the weekend’s billing of cup action underway with an emphatic victory in the Wirral.

Fernando Llorente scored a hat-trick for Spurs as they cruised to a 7-0 win at Tranmere Rovers. The London side were just one-nil up at half-time thanks to Serge Aurier’s well-placed shot, but further goals from Llorente, Son Heung-Min and Harry Kane sent Mauricio Pochettino’s side through to the next round.

Manchester United headed into the next round as they won their fifth consecutive game under caretaker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Fred had an early goal ruled out for the Red Devils amid VAR confusion, but Juan Mata made no mistake from twelve yards after winning a penalty. Romelu Lukaku doubled United’s lead just before the break to knock out Championship strugglers Reading.

Chelsea spared any blushes against Championship side Nottingham Forest with a 2-0 win to progress. Cesc Fabregas had a penalty saved on potentially his last game in English football, but an Alvaro Morata brace put the game beyond doubt.

Despite Arsenal having their pre-match preparations disrupted due to a protest by Blackpool supporters delaying the departure of their team coach, 19-year-old Joe Willock grabbed two goals in the first half and Alex Iwobi added a third to send Arsenal into the next round with a 3-0 win at Blackpool.

In ties elsewhere involving Premier League sides, Burnley avoided an exit with a 1-0 win over Barnsley, but Eddie Howe’s Bournemouth were unable to come from behind as they fell to a 3-1 home defeat to Brighton & Hove Albion.

Two goals in three minutes from Anthony Knockaert and Yves Bissouma gave the visitors an early lead before Marc Pugh reduced the deficit in the second half; but Florin Andone sealed the result just past the hour-mark for the Seagulls.

League Two side Grimsby Town made Crystal Palace work hard for their place in the next round. The Mariners played virtually the entire match with ten men after Andrew Fox was dismissed in the second minute with the assistance of VAR, but Jordan Ayew scored in the 86th minute to send Palace through.

Meanwhile, Southampton were forced to a replay after letting a 2-0 lead slip against Frank Lampard’s Derby County. Nathan Redmond put the Saints ahead in the Midlands, but goals from Jack Marriott and Tom Lawrence gave the Rams a second bite at the cherry for a place in the next round.

Huddersfield’s season took a Brownhill turn as Championship Bristol City caused an upset by defeating the Terriers. Josh Brownhill scored his fourth goal of the season to inflict a ninth consecutive defeat upon the Premier League side.

Cardiff City‘s unfortunate form on the road proved evident as they conceded an 81st minute strike from Elliot List as League One side Gillingham progressed at the Premier League side’s expense.

Matthew Richie spared Newcastle United blushes as he stroked home a late penalty to take Blackburn Rovers to a replay after Bradley Dack gave the visitors the lead. Everton survived a scare to win 2-1 at Goodison Park against Lincoln City.


About Author

When not busy covering local news for EssexLive, Matt Lee can be found in the press box at Portman Road covering Ipswich Town's return to the Championship and push for the Premier League.

Comments are closed.