Quins get the better of the Falcons.



Gallagher Premiership Friday 16th November 2018

Peter Moore at The Stoop

Attendance: 9,847

Harlequins moved up to fifth in the Gallagher Premiership after tries from Alex Dombrandt and Francis Saili ensured Quins returned back to winning ways in the League.

Quins welcomed back Mike Brown, Nathan Earle and Joe Marchant in their starting 15 for the game against bottom of the table Falcons at the Stoop on Friday evening. The three returned from England duty to make up the back line alongside Charlie Mulchrone, Marcus Smith and Aaron Morris.

Joe Marler, also returned back into the squad, and was named as a game changer by Head of Rugby Paul Gustard.

Falcons were forced into a couple of late changes with Johnny Williams not playing. Toby Flood was given the number 12 shirt with former Quin Tim Swiel names as a Replacement. Swiel was immediately into the action after seven minutes replacing the injured Joel Hodgson, who after extensive treatment was stretchered off.

The first points of the match fell to the hosts when Falcons strayed offside. Marcus Smith’s penalty kick from the tee sailed over the posts to give Harlequins a 3-0 lead.

Newcastle were awarded a penalty late into the half, but Toby Flood’s effort dropped short. In a scrappy first half with few chances, it was Quins who scored the first try of the match. With half time approaching Alex Dombrandt intercepted a pass to run 40 meters to cross. Smith added the extras as Harlequins went into the break leading 10-0.

Shortly after the restart, Harlequins Lewis Boyce was shown a yellow card for collapsing the scrum. Falcons were penalised once more, with Smith slotting over the penalty kick to increase Harlequins lead to 13-0.

Quins increased their advantage following fine work from Joe Marchant and Mike Brown, with the offload from Brown to Francis Saili who touched down. Lang added the extra points as Harlequins stretched their lead to 20 points.

The visitors eventually got on the board in the 68th minute when Andrew Davidson crossed with Flood adding the extra points to reduce the deficit. But it was to late for the Falcons to stage a late fightback, as Harlequins comfortably held on to record their third win of the Gallagher Premiership season.

[column size=”1/2″][blog type=”timeline” posts=”10″ cats=”607″ heading=”Rugby” heading_type=”timeline” /][/column]
[column size=”1/2″][blog type=”timeline” posts=”10″ cats=”338″ heading=”England” heading_type=”timeline” /][/column]


About Author

Comments are closed.