Wigan Warriors continue their excellent season to reach the Super League Grand Final


Superb seven-try performance from Wigan helped the Warriors overcome a disappointing Hull KR side.

Following last night’s brutal encounter between the Catalan Dragons and St Helens in the South of France, the League Leaders Shield winners Wigan Warriors faced Hull Kingston Rovers at the DW Stadium in front of the Channel 4 cameras. Steve Mcnamara’s Dragons side awaited the winners at Old Trafford next Saturday having stopped the Saints ‘drive for five ‘ in Perpignan on Friday night.

Would Wigan continue their outstanding season with a trip to the Super League Grand Final or would the East side of Hull be making their first trip to the Theatre of Dreams?

Matt Peet’s side dominated the opening 10 minutes with the pace of Bevan French and Jai Field causing problems for Rovers. It took just two minutes until the hosts opened the scoring – The speed of Field left defenders behind allowing the full-back to find Liam Marshall who crashed over two defenders to give the Warriors a dream start.

Just seconds later on the very next set Wigan went over again, a neat chip back towards the posts from Harry Smith saw Field appear to knock on before grounding the ball but with the try being referred to the video referee it appeared that the Warriors number 1 had kicked the ball rather than knocking in therefore extending the hosts lead.

The third of 3 tries in the opening minutes saw Marshall cut back inside the on-rushing defenders after an excellent flowing move down the Warriors left edge. Ill discipline and poor handling errors from Rovers gave them a mountain to climb. They did however manage to grab themselves a lifeline when Elliot Minchella took the short ball to score next to the posts to send the sides into the break at 18-6.

Just like the first half Marshall scored inside the opening two minutes of the second to complete his hat-trick. A high kick to the right was knocked back by Willie Isa to French who kicked the ball across the field to an open Marshall who had the simple of finishes. The scoring didnt stop there with French again the creator this time to Toby King who scored in the corner on his last appearance at the DW Stadium before returning to Warrington Wolves next season.

Jai Field was next on the scoresheet going past two defenders before diving over in the far corner to cap a very impressive performance from the Warriors Full-back. The scoring didn’t stop there with Abbas Miski scoring in the very next set. Rovers did manage to stop the onslaught by Wigan with Jez Litten reducing the deficit with three minutes remaining but the opening 1o minutes ultimately proved too much to come back from, after a superb start from the side in cherry and white.

A 42-12 win for Wigan sets up a pulsating clash next week at Old Trafford between the Wigan Warriors and Catalans Dragons. A game that sees Friday night’s match-winner Sam Tomkins go up against his former side in his final career appearance.

Will it be the dream ending for the Dragons full-back? Or will Matt Peet claim the Super League Title in just his second season in charge of Wigan? One thing is for sure, it is going to be a superb spectacle under the floodlights in Manchester come Saturday night.


Follow us on Twitter @ProstInt


Comments are closed.