Warrington Wolves put on dominant display in round 10 of Super League



Warrington Wolves put on a dominant display at the Halliwell Jones Stadium as a Josh Thewlis hat-trick helped see off Ian Watson’s Huddersfield Giants on Saturday afternoon.

It looked set to be a tough afternoon for the Wire who was missing a number of key bodies like Gareth Widdop, Stefan Ratchford and George Williams, but they didn’t look like a side low on numbers as they controlled the 80 minutes in their round ten clash.

After a cagey few opening sets, Warrington grew into the game and after Jack Cogger received a yellow card after just seven minutes, Wire took full advantage of the extra man with Josh Thewlis getting two early tries to his name.

Things got worse for Huddersfield after Warrington were awarded an eight-point try and the Giants had another man sent to the bin as Oliver Wilson was shown the second yellow card of the afternoon.

Wire made it three tries for the afternoon on the half-hour mark. Thewlis showed a great bit of skill earlier in the set before Riley Dean’s inch-perfect kick bounced high and allowed Toby King to steal in, slamming the ball down to put Warrington 16-0 to the good following the successful conversion.

Wire’s scoring for the first 40 minutes was concluded with a penalty goal from Dean that was followed up with a first try of the afternoon for the visitors, who got themselves back into the encounter after Innes Senior dodged several last-ditch challenges to go over.

That left the halftime score as 18-4 to the Wire, with the Giants still having a long way to go.

The second half began quite like the first, a cagey affair for both sets of players.

And it took to the 58th minute for either side to add to the scoreboard, with Connor Wrench showing great pace and power before diving over in spectacular fashion to put Wire back in full control.

With just over 10 minutes to go, Wire put the game to bed and Thewlis rounded off a fantastic hat-trick as he got on the end of an inch-perfect kick from Dean to go over and put the Wolves out of sight.

Ben Currie then got himself on the scoreboard just moments after Thewlis completed his hat-trick. He darted into the corner and evaded the Huddersfield defence to extend the Wolves’ lead even further.

There was enough time for Huddersfield to get a consolation try as Luke Yates piled through a number of bodies before slamming the ball down, but a consolation was all it was for Ian Watson’s side.

Following the game, Daryl Powell would’ve been pleased with his side’s dominance, especially after coming into the game missing a couple of key leaders within the Wire ranks. And the Wolves have some challenging games coming up with Wigan Warriors the next visitors to the Halliwell Jones before Warrington face the Catalan Dragons and St Helens.

As for Huddersfield, they are on the road again, next up with a trip to face Wakefield Trinity before hosting Wigan Warriors at the John Smith’s Stadium.

Follow us on Twitter @ProstInt


About Author

Comments are closed.