2021/2022 Vanarama National League Matchday 32 Roundup – London & South East


Another thrilling matchday in the National League saw goals, controversy and a behind closed doors affair all involving the region’s teams!

Altrincham 3-0 Dagenham & Redbridge –

The Daggers suffered a damning 3-0 defeat at the J Davidson Stadium, condemning their play-off hopes to seemingly distant memories now.

The precedent was set from the off when the Daggers defence was caught napping and Dan Mooney was able to capitalise to fire home his sixth goal of the season. Perhaps there will be question marks over the goalkeeping for this one, with the strike coming straight at Elliot Justham and the 31-year-old allowing it to squirm through his legs.

Once again it was the left hand side that was providing all of the joy for Altrincham, as Jordan Hulme cut inside and cooly slotted home in a manner that would not necessarily be expected from a player that has not scored all season.

Moments after half-time it was game over as Josh Hancock struck one beautifully last Justham on the turn.

A tepid second half performance saw Daryl McMahon’s side go down by three goals to none.

This victory was a much needed one for Altrincham, and it hauled them away from the relegation zone and from 20th to 17th.

Dagenham meanwhile, have now won one in six and a tough ask to get into the play-offs is rapidly becoming an impossible one.

The Daggers will return to the Chigwell Construction Stadium in midweek as they welcome Maidenhead United in a must win match if they are to remain in the hunt for the top seven.

Boreham Wood 1-0 Eastleigh –

Luke Garrard’s Boreham Wood side are getting prepared for the biggest day in their club’s history as they will make the midweek trip up to Goodison Park to face Everton in the FA Cup 5th Round Proper.

Firstly, the Wood had to take care of National League business on their home turf in North London as they took on Eastleigh for the third time of the campaign. After disappointing results against Maidenhead United and Torquay United, it was imperative that the Wood got back in the win column.

As such, the game could not have started much better as Tyrone Marsh scrambled the ball home after just five minutes. As the game wore on, it was the hosts who looked like increasing their lead more than Eastleigh getting back into the game, as Josh Rees fired across the face of goal one on one with Joe McDonnell.

Boreham Wood remain in third place and with games in hand in their quest for promotion headed into their big FA Cup day in midweek.

Dover Athletic 1-3 Grimsby Town –

Dover Athletic fell to their 24th defeat in 32 games as they succumbed by 3-1 against Grimsby Town at the Crabble Sports Ground.

It started again with Dover being unable to get the basics right, as Shaun Pearson was allowed a free header that floated into the back of the net.

The lead was soon doubled as Tristan Abrahams audaciously lobbed Watford loanee keeper Adam Parkes from outside the box, for his first goal for the club.

Dover did get themselves straight back in the contest just four minutes later as Jake Goodman bundled the ball home from a corner as Max Crocombe flailed at it.

Andy Hessenthaler’s side then pushed to get themselves back in the contest, but were ultimately punished on the break as Harry Clifton played in John McAtee, who made no mistake in securing his 11th goal of the season and the three points for his team.

Dover will next travel to one of the regions other teams as they head to North London to face Barnet on Saturday.

FC Halifax Town 1-0 Barnet –

Barnet travelled up to Yorkshire to face a play-off chasing Halifax Town side as they searched for the form that saw them beat Aldershot Town with ease at the beginning of the month.

The Bees defended well for the most part but were breached after they failed to clear their lines after a corner and Niall Maher latched onto the lose ball and fired home.

Halifax squandered a number of efforts to extend their lead, and as such kept Barnet in the fray. This almost allowed Ross Marshall to score an unlikely equaliser as his scuffed shot bobbled along a difficult surface and had to be dealt with by Sam Johnson.

Sadly for the Bees who made the long journey up, their side was unable to find the equaliser and Dean Brennan’s team will be determined to beat bottom side Dover Athletic in their next outing.

Southend United 1-1 Solihull Moors –

The Shrimpers looked to extend their unbeaten National League run to 11 games as they took on fellow form side Solihull Moors.

It was the Essex side who went ahead as well with January signing Leon Davies providing a peach of a cross to find Sam Dalby, who scored his seventh goal of the season.

However, some shoddy defensive work allowed Danny Newton to get the flick on to Callum Maycock who fired home from close range to level just before half time.

The second half would be an even affair, that would see both sides have spells and half chances, but a point for both sides appeared to be the fair result as the referee blew for full time.

Southend have made a barrage towards the top half of the table, but will face their toughest test yet to their remarkable run as they travel to the Technique Stadium to face promotion chasing Chesterfield.

Woking 0-2 Notts County –

The Cards’ poor run of form continued as they went down to play-off chasing Notts County at the Laithwaite Community Stadium.

Ruben Rodrigues put the Magpies ahead just before half time with a smart right footed finish from the edge of the area, securing the Portuguese player’s 10th goal of the season.

In the second half, Woking battled, but a missed tackle from Joshua Casey allowed the visitors to break through and Elisha Sam slotted home his fourth goal in as many games to take Notts County back into the play-offs.

Winless in seven, Woking will make the not so favourable trip to Blundell Park to face Grimsby Town with hopes of getting back on track and steering away from the lower echelons of the National League.

Wealdstone 1-1 Torquay United –

Due to safety concerns over fencing, this game was played behind closed doors and as a 5:15pm evening kick-off.

In a cagy game, it was the Stones who took the initiative as the game entered its closing stages with substitute Jadyn Josiah Mundle-Smith scoring his second goal of the season with a calm finish over Shaun MacDonald.

However, the goal from the former Fulham academy prospect was cancelled out following a howler from his goalkeeper and current Fulham academy player on loan, George Wickens. The 20-year-old fumbled a free kick floated in from the left-hand-side and allowed it to squirm past him for a Torquay equaliser.

Next Saturday, Stuart Maynard’s side will travel to the Silverlake Stadium to face another side who are out of form in Eastleigh.

So, another exciting matchday in the National League saw highs and lows for the region’s sides, but Boreham Wood are still flying the flag for London & South East in the upper regions of the table as they still sit third. They’ll be looking to represent the entirety of the National League when they take on Premier League Everton in the FA Cup in midweek.

Here is a full list of results involving the region’s teams:

Altrincham 3-0 Dagenham & Redbridge

Boreham Wood 1-0 Eastleigh

Dover Athletic 1-3 Grimsby Town

FC Halifax Town 1-0 Barnet

Southend United 1-1 Solihull Moors

Woking 0-2 Notts County

Wealdstone 1-1 Torquay United

Follow us on Twitter @ProstInt


About Author

Comments are closed.