Gallagher Premiership Roundup, 24th March 2019


Exeter Chiefs became the first side this season to guarantee a top four finish and a playoff spot, after completing a 29-10 victory against Bath at Sandy Park on Sunday. Chiefs scored 26 unanswered points on their way to victory and extended their lead at the top of the Gallagher Premiership by nine points. Ollie Devoto, Jack Yeandle and a penalty try put Chiefs in control, before Olly Woodburn’s try sealed a bonus point with five minutes left.

Leicester Tigers face an anxious end to the season after suffering a 29-15 loss at home to Northampton Saints on Friday. The loss means the Tigers are looking over their shoulders at the bottom end of the table, with the thought of potential relegation looming.

A fourth defeat in five Premiership games has left Leicester above only Worcester and Bristol at the foot of the table. Arch rivals Saints outplayed their East Midlands rivals for large parts of the game leading 20-3 at the break, with three tries scored in the opening 33 minutes including a brace from Tom Collins. Dan Biggar then kicked three penalties to put Northampton 29-3 up before a late consolation of two tries courtesy of George Ford and Tom Youngs.

Saracens remain in second place in the table after completing a comeback 27-20 victory against Harlequins at the London Stadium on Saturday.

It was a hard-fought win for Sarries after a poor opening 40 minutes led to Harlequins racing into a 17-3 lead at the break with Marcus Smith and Danny Care going over. Saracens hit back straight after the restart when Schalk Burger forced his way over. Two late tries from Will Skelton completed the comeback, in a match that was watched by just over 40,000 people.

Gloucester had to come from 11-0 behind to eventually overcome Wasps at Kingsholm on Saturday 27-14.
Trailing 11-0 to Marcus Watson’s tray and six points from the boot of Rob Miller, Gloucester roared back to take charge at half-time by leading 14-11. More points from the boot of Billy Twelvetrees- who ended up with 12 points- and a late try from Jake Polledri, with only a minute remaining was enough for the hosts to record victory.
Toby Flood’s second-half try fired Newcastle Falcons to a priceless victory in a stormy encounter which saw Sale Sharks hooker Rob Webber make allegations about biting.

Newcastle edged a close affair 22-17 to continue their fight against relegation. This was a third straight win for Dean Richards men in their fight to avoid the drop, despite the victory the North East outfit remain at the bottom, but the gap between Worcester and Falcons is now only three points.

Sharks took an early 10-0 lead before a penalty from Sonatane Takula put Falcons on the board. By the half-time whistle Newcastle trailed by just four points. Newcastle lead for the first time when Toby Flood darted over. Takula converted and added three further penalties before Bryon McGuigan;s late try for the Sharks set up a frantic finish. But Newcastle held on to record a crucial victory and still have hopes of surviving the drop.
Duncan Weir’s 12-point haul was enough for Worcester Warriors to claim a crucial 27-25 victory against Bristol Bears at Ashton Gate on Saturday.

Both sides traded tries early on before Josh Adams crossed for Warriors. At the break it was Worcester who held a narrow six-point advantage to lead 24-18. After the restart, Warriors remained in the ascendancy with Weir in magnificent kicking form to clinch a vital victory for Worcester.



About Author

Comments are closed.