Gallagher Premiership roundup


After a break of two weeks, the Gallagher Premiership returned at the weekend, with plenty of points scored.
The weekends action began on Friday evening with a West Country derby between Gloucester and high-flying Exeter. The home side defeated the Chiefs 24-17 at Kingsway.

The Cherry and Whites were forced to defend for their lives for their first win in six matches after Ben Morgan’s late try. The hosts held a narrow 10-7 at half-time before Joe Simmonds levelled after the break. Willie Heinz then went over to swing the advantage back to Gloucester to give them a five-point advantage. Despite Chiefs narrowing the gap, it was that late try from Morgan that proved crucial for the Cherry and Whites.

Wasps claimed a road victory after defeating Bristol Bears 29-22 at Ashton Gate on Friday. The win for Wasps came at a cost, with a serious ankle injury to Billy Searl. The visitors scored four tries to claim the try bonus point win, with Thomas Young, Tom Cruse, Nizaam Carr and Will Rowlands going over. Wasps led 19-3 at the break, but had to survive a late Bears fightback, at one time reducing the gap to four points, but a late try from Rowlands and a penalty from Liam Sopoaga eased them over the line.

Harlequins maintained their top four position after completing a 47-33 victory against Worcester Warriors at the Stoop on Saturday. Quins and Warriors shared no less than 12 tries between them in a frantic game in South West London. Harlequins had the try bonus point wrapped up within 35 minutes, thanks to Joe Marchant, Gabby Ibitoye, Mike Brown and Jack Clifford crossing. Marchant started the scoring after only 40 seconds, with Quins dominating a first half to lead 28-7. Bryce Heem touched down for Warriors early in the second half, with both sides trading tries in a frantic last 20 minutes with Danny Care, Ben Tapuai and James Lang crossing for the Londoners and Josh Adams, Michael Heaney and Tom Howe racing over for Worcester. But it was Harlequins who completed victory with Warriors leaving London with a try bonus-point.

Saracens moved back to the top of the table after completing a 33-10 win against Leicester Tigers at Allianz Park on Saturday. It was all so different after 40 minutes with Tigers going to the dressing room at the break leading 10-5. Saracens showed their true championship winning credentials by hitting back with three tries in the last quarter from Ben Spencer, Tom Woolstencroft and David Strettle to seal victory for the Sarries.

Northampton Saints handed out a 67-17 thrashing to Sale Sharks at Franklin Gardens on Saturday. Saints ran in nine tries with South African scrum-half Cobus Reinach bagging a brace alongside a couple of tries from substitute Tom Collins. The hosts piled on the points to lead 32-10 at the break, Sharks never recovered from this and slipped to an embarrassing defeat.

Newcastle Falcons remain rooted at the bottom of the table after suffering a 30-13 loss to Bath at the Rec on Saturday. The hosts claimed a bonus-point victory to condemn the North East side to another defeat. The home side led 20-6 at the break after scoring three tries inside 17 minutes with Semesa Rokuduguni, Joe Cokanasiga and Will Chudley going over, as the hosts sent Newcastle to their tenth loss of the season, and already looking in trouble, still five points behind Worcester.


About Author

Comments are closed.