How to EXact revenge. Chiefs end Saracens’ 22 match unbeaten run


After a break of a couple of weeks for European action, it was the return of the Gallagher Premiership for Week 10.

Worcester Warriors and Northampton Saints locked horns at Sixways on Friday evening with Northampton coming out victorious 32-6.

Both these sides went into this clash separated only by points difference, but by the end of 80 minutes it was Northampton who were streets ahead come the final whistle.

Chris Boyd’s men were comfortable winners, thanks mainly to half-backs Cobus Reinach and Dan Biggar, who ended the game with a 20-point haul.
The opening try of the contest fell to Reinach with an intercepted pass in the 57th minute. Luther Burrell added a second try late on as all Worcester could manage were two penalties from Duncan Weir.

Exeter Chiefs ended Saracens 22-match unbeaten run that stretched back to last April thanks to three second half tries in a 31-13 victory at Sandy Park on Saturday.

After Harlequins had become the first side to defeat Exeter in the Gallagher Premiership a couple of weeks ago, Saracens went into the game boasting the only one hundred per cent record in the league.

Sandy Park’s full house had plenty to cheer when Luke Cowan-Dickie went over for the opening try of the game after Owen Farrell had slotted over two penalties inside the opening ten minutes. After a tight opening forty minutes the hosts dominated the second half with tries from Harry Williams, Matt Kvesic and a penalty try which took the game away from Sarries as Chiefs picked up a try bonus point victory, which moved them back to the top of the table.

At Welford Road on Saturday Head Coach Geordan Murphy- who earlier on in the week was given the new permanent position- celebrated as Leicester Tigers halted their worst losing run for 43 years of eight games in a 35-24 victory against Harlequins.

Tigers dominated the opening half by going into the break with a 23-9 lead thanks to a couple of tries from winger Jonah Holmes. Manu Tuilagi crossed after the break before youngster Cadan Murley went over for Harlequins first try in the 63rd minute, only for Jonny May to canter over the line for Tigers bonus try. There was still time for the visitors Alex Dombrandt to bull doze over for a late consolation try for Quins.

This was quiet a performance from Leicester who had been hit by bugs for most of the week with virtually the whole squad struggling with tonsillitis, colds and flu.

In the final match played on Saturday, Sale Sharks defeated the visiting Bristol Bears 27-10 at the AJ Bell Stadium.

Sharks held a comfortable 14-3 lead at half-time, with 11 points coming from the boot of Rob du Preez. Sharks continued on the front foot for the second half with a further eight points from du Preez and a try from Will Cliff to seal victory for Sharks which kept them three points ahead of bottom club Newcastle Falcons.

On Sunday the second-highest attendance for a regular Premiership match of 31,626 braved the elements at the Ricoh Arena to watch Bath defeat Wasps 24-14.

Bath, came into the game with just one victory in their previous 12 games. After their loss to Bath, it now means Wasps have a poor record of just one victory in their last 12.

In a first half dominated by Bath’s Freddie Burns- who scored all the hosts 14 points, including a try- the visitors went into the break with a healthy 14-9 advantage. The fly-half added a further five points after the break for a 19 point haul- his highest return in a Premiership match. Will Chudley crossed in his first match as Bath Captain to seal the points and move the West Country side up to sixth in the table.

Gloucester recorded their fourth win in six visits to Kingston Park, after coming from behind to record a 20-17 win over Newcastle.

Ed Slater crashed over for the visitors for the only try of the half to give Gloucester a narrow 10-6 lead at the break, with the main talking point of the opening forty minutes being a mass melee just before the break which saw Gloucester fly-half Owen Williams appearing to gouge Gary Graham’s eye. No actions were taken by the officials, who looked to have missed the incident.

With twenty minutes to go Newcastle had a seven point cushion, but Ben Morgan eventually forced his way over and with Billy Tweltrees converting the visitors drew level. Twelvetrees won the game for the visitors when he slotted over a late penalty. For Falcons, they at least had the reward of a losing bonus point, which means they remain bottom, but move to within a point of Worcester.



About Author

Comments are closed.